Approved and Prohibited Alternative Mutual Funds
The purchase of Alternative Mutual Funds that include inverse and leveraged strategies is not permitted. To assist with what funds may be purchased, there is an Alternative Mutual Fund Available List and a Watch List which is updated quarterly and may be found on the Agent Portal à Products à Investments à Mutual Funds.
- The Approved List is a list of approved alternative mutual funds that may be purchased (once training has been completed).
- The Watch List is a the list of alternative mutual funds that the Firm is watching to determine if they may become prohibited in the future due to failing consecutive screens, (two consecutive quarters). If you recommend purchases on the list, please be aware that they may no longer be approved to purchase in the future.
- The Restricted List is the list of prohibited alternative mutual funds.
- BROKERAGE: If an attempt to purchase is ma de in a brokerage account, the purchase will be blocked.
- DIRECT: If purchased in a direct, mutual fund, you will be contacted by Compliance after to work with your client to have any new investments directed to a non-alternative mutual fund or to one of the approved alternative mutual funds.
- REMOVED FROM APPROVED LIST:If a fund is removed from the Available list (brokerage or direct), Compliance will contact you to let you know that the fund is no longer available for purchase and to work with your client to have any new investments directed to a non-alternative mutual fund or to one of the approved alternative mutual funds.
Prior to purchasing approved alternative mutual funds, you must first complete required training in FIRE Solutions. The training may be accessed through FIRE Solutions: https://blaze.firesolutions.com/portal/login. The cost is $12.50. Once you have completed the course, please email your completion certificate to ESITrading@NationalLife.com and this training will be added to your profile.
If you have any questions or concerns regarding the alternative mutual fund lists, please contact ESI at 800-344-7437.
Entreda Does not Support Google Chromebooks
With the launch of the Entreda Cybersecurity platform last year, National Life took a big step forward in keeping our promise to protect you and your client’s sensitive information. We’ve seen some stellar Entreda scores for both Mac and Windows machines and are excited to see so many of you taking the correct steps to keep that sensitive information secure.
Protecting your client’s information is an ongoing process and we must continually evolve with the ever-changing landscape. Currently, the Entreda platform does not support Google Chromebooks. Chromebooks are popular in schools as they rely on an internet connection, are inexpensive and are easy to use devices. However, because they have not evolved into the business world yet National Life has made the decision to restrict Chromebooks from accessing the agent portal for those covered by Entreda. Fortunately, this represents a very small percentage of agent portal logins. This restriction will take place on August 1st 2022. After that time, you will need to use a Windows or Mac computer to access the agent portal. Android devices will continue to be supported and won’t be affected by this decision.
We are working with Entreda to provide coverage for Chromebooks in the future so that we can support a wide variety of devices as securely as possible.
Thank you for your understanding and helping us keep our promise to you and your clients.